A beauty love affair

Lots of Makeup, Haul Nyx boots and High end makeup



It's been a long time since the last beauty post here on A Girl called Glasgow. I'm unsure why, but for so long it's been something I've just lost enthusiasm in writing about, although I'm interested in it more than ever. I guess in some respects, I felt like there was nothing left for me to say on the subject that hadn't been done better by someone else previously. 

But, then I realised, nobody else has my preferences. I work long shifts in front of a boiling hot, somewhat moist coffee machine these days. Therefore my makeup doesn't just have to be aesthetically pleasing like I sought in the past, but it also has to be long wearing and practical. Therefore, my picks have changed, and I've found myself falling out of love with some products that I truly believed would be my forever holy grails. It was like a  breakup, it was hard and it took time to heal. But I've moved on, and it's time for you to meet my new loves.



The Balm Bahama Mama, Nyx primer

I don't care what your argument is, your base is the most important part of your face. It doesn't matter how good your eyeshadow is, if you're cakey nobody cares. For so long I was a massive fan of the Nars All day Luminous and Sheerglow foundations, I repurchased them countless how many times and recommended them till my face turned blue, but they never truly ticked all the boxes for me. As much as I loved the finish, it didn't last and by mid-day my face was creasing, cracking and fading off (and sometimes even transferring)! I tried every product I could to set it, but it always wore badly I'd almost gave up hope until I tried Double wear by Estee Lauder.

I didn't want to believe the hype - but it's true. It's such a great foundation with super high coverage and it really does last all day. As i type this, I've just been to uni followed by seven hours in front of a coffee machine, and I could still go on a night out with this makeup on. Unreal.

On the note of long wearing - the Maxfactor Lipfinity range is absolutely fantastic. I'm not the kind of girl to dedicate scrawls of writing to a lip product but they truly are great. It's a liquid lippy that you 'set' with the most luxurious balm and then somehow, magically, it lasts a good 6 hours. Don't ask how. Don't ask why. Just know it works.

I also became sick of my primer recently. I'd had a good run with the Nivea post shave balm, but it was time for us to part ways. It was breaking me out and frankly it done nothing to help the texture/finish of my skin - as per usual, I craved more. So on a whim, I grabbed the NYX pore filler and I've never looked back. It is a direct dupe of the Benefit professional, although I actually prefer it as it seems to go further. It smooths my skin and keeps everything in place. Simple, and all that I need. If you're in Glasgow or the surrounding area and don't already know. There's now a NYX counter in Boots Buchannan and St Enoch, their blushers are ace too!


Also, in the skin department I've been rocking the Balm's Bahama Mama since around christmas time as my go-to contour bronze shade - and been loving it! It's such a cool tone bronzer which is great to keep the orangey-ness at bay and looks great paired with Mac's Lightscapade on the cheek bones!


Illamasqua, Veus Palette, Eyebrows, Zoeva

Now we're at the good bit Eyes and Brows! My eyes and brows are my favourite part of my makeup routine, and are something i've definitely been experimenting with more recently. My favourite palette at the moment (excluding my makeup Geek shades!) is the original Venus Palette from Limecime. As you can see above it features some of the most gorgeous shades ever and they're all of great consistency and pigment, something I genuinely didn't expect. I love to apply the  shadows with my favourite tool ever, the Zoeva Luxe crease brush. I love this brush so much that I've bought four of them. FOUR. It's ridiculous but they are oh so good. 

And now, finally the brow duo that dreams are made of. My all time, brow staple is the Illamasqua browcake in Thunder, it's been in my makeup bag since the middle of last year and still has barley a dent in it, even after everyday use. I use it dampened which magically transforms it into a  paste and just apply it on my brows and it creates such a defined carved out look. Recently, I've been pairing it with the NYX brow Gel in Expresso, which i feel makes my brows look more '3D'? It gives my already defined brows depth and texture, which I adore.

Anyway, this has been a quick run down of my current makeup love affairs. 
Would you like to see more beauty posts? Do you have any recommendations?

Lets be Friends! 



9 comments:

  1. I've not tried the Double Wear foundation before but I'm a big fan of the NARS sheer glow so I'll give it a try - thanks for sharing x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Honestly it's amazing totally worth trying. I thought sheerglow was the best out there before i dabbled into double wear! You get a free sample at the counters!

    X

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooo I have had my eye on the NYX pore filler for a while. I tried it in Boots a few weeks ago but wanted a second opinion before committing!

    Jess
    Philocalist.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's honestly great - a proper dupe for Porefessional. I've been loving it!

      X

      Delete
  4. I'm really not a fan of Benefit (after their body shaming furore) so I'm happy to see some dupes for their products appearing in the beauty blogosphere! I'm going to try out the NYX Pore Filler as I used to love using Porefessional. Thanks for the tip!

    Lottie xx
    http://lottielamour.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've not tried any of these products. But they sound great. I normally stick to rimmel and maybelline as my skin is super sensitive x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been looking for a Porefessional dupe for so long so i'll definitely be giving the NYX version a try! I love my Double wear by Estee Lauder too, the coverage is amazing.

    Roxie | The Beautiful Bluebird

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love great dupe products like those from NYX, saving the pennies is always a good idea.

    ReplyDelete

© 2015 A Girl Called Glasgow ALL RIGHTS RESERVED • BLOG CRAFTED BY THE MODERN PAGE